Search This Blog

Friday, March 11, 2011

Spring Sideboard Display

This is the way our sideboard in the dining room usually looks. 

But, come spring, I love to give it a vignette that celebrates the season.  It is now made of all faux materials, but I used to do this with real plants.  It never lasted long, and watering it was a nightmare.  So, I got smart and put together a pretty good look that lasts and lasts.

In order not to scratch the wood with the styrofoam, I set it all on a plastic bag.  The styrofoam sheets are used like risers and I use wooden skewer-like picks to keep them together.

These rubbery cabbage leaves that are really placemats go next to cover the plastic bag.

Loose forsythia branches and two tulip sprays get it to this point.  Since everything is wired, I just bend it until I like the way looks.  By putting it in front of a mirror, the materials are doubled in appearance.

Three fuzzy little bunnies and a potted conical tree are added after the ferns at each end.  The one little guy is on a styrofoam piece to give him height.

These hosta leaves are cut off of several sprays of hosta. 

They add a lot of interest with their variegated colors.

I also cut up several types of ferns to stick in here and there for "covering the mechanics", as the flower show judges like to say.  Then I start placing the little flowering plants and cabbages.

After adding a bird's nest and an egg, it looks like this.

The last touch is some reindeer moss and some lichen.

\
It looks so much better to have the bunnies partially hidden.  After all, Floppsie, Moppsie, and Cotton Tail don't want Farmer MacGregor to see them!

Our grandson, Owen, always puts a "Ploppsie" in the story somewhere!  Maybe this is really Ploppsie!

This is sort of like putting up my Christmas tree.  It makes me smile every time I walk through the dining room.  Some might ask, "why go to all the bother?", but it's so worth it to me.

This could be used on a mantle, too.

Can we ever have too much spring?

What ever their names, they are wishing you a joyous spring!

14 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous!! I LOVE it! What a great idea, and I agree that doing something like this with real plants is really a LOT of work and trouble. Just beautiful! I will have to steal the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda what a beautiful ode to spring. Love the little bunnies poking their heads out of the arrangement. I can see why it make you smile!
    Barb B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! I love that you used faux...so much easier to care for than real! The bunnies are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it, but my favorite is the cabbage leaf place mats, I love them! The whole arrange ment is very pretty, I can see why it makes you smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would make me smile too! This is a gorgeous arrangement and full of springtime charm with those little bunnies. You are very talented.
    Happy weekend! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is gorgeous! You have definitely brought Spring into your house. Beautiful.
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello ... it look so beautiful love the yellow touch in it and I am really envoy of your cabbage leaves... its beautiful...
    Happy spring time
    Hope you like to pay a visit to my new spring arrangement saved in a cloche
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
    Love
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks great! I love seeing how you added the layers to it. It must make you smile every time you see it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely Beautiful! I just love your creation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved that you showed how it came together. I really appreciate the effort that took. I love to recreate these types of things, but never really know where to start. Your display is totally worth it. It's so pretty and so spring, and lovely as can be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. GORGEOUS!!! I would leave this up forever!! lol I wouldn't be able to dismantle it, it is just so pretty!

    Great job!

    Lou Cinda

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a gorgeous! How creative. Thanks for sharing with Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I am your newest follower! :D
    Your work is very beautiful, creative and impressive! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think of this posting. I treasure your comments and love the feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...