Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Turquoise and White Summer Dinner Party

First, I found these beauties!

Then I found these to go with them.

I already had these.....

And these.....

And these!

And a dinner party was born.

Place mats are from Homegoods, dinner plates and salad plates from Z Galleries, and soup tureen from Target.

Here's the way the table came together.  We were expecting six, but ended up with a cozy four. 

I wanted to keep the turquoise and white and coral thing going, so the center of the table was a very simple gathering of a large piece of white coral surrounded by white shells.  Then I threw in a few pieces of turquoise sea glass to give a tiny bit of color.

Couldn't be easier.

I put these large extra-white roses in some clear turquoise glasses from Martha Stewart.  There was an arrangement at each end of the table.

Here's the bread and butter plate I used.  It says "Made in Italy" and the mark reads "Andrea Galvani, Pordemone" and has "Carbone" in script.  I have about 6 complete place settings, lots of serving pieces, and an espresso set.  I bought it years ago at a consignment shop in Shaker Heights, Ohio that benefited the American Red Cross. These butter shapes are made in a Wilton candy mold from Micheal's.

I put a Greek Gazpacho in these.  It was a new recipe that I had never tried and it was yummy.  Perfect for our hot summer night.

We aren't martini drinkers and not many of our friends are, either, but I totally had to buy these at Tuesday Morning.  They are deeply etched in such a cool beach theme.  I immediately envisioned a crab salad in them, but because I was serving seafood for the main course, I used them for dessert.  I just grilled a slice of pineapple, and put a scoop of Hagen-Daz pineapple-coconut ice cream on top and sprinkled a bit of toasted coconut over all.  I diced the pineapple to fit the shape of this glass, but I usually just put the ring on a plate and top with the ice cream.  Listen..........this is great........this is easy..........people love it!!!!  Why bake a cake? 
 
The flatware is my off-white French knock-off.  It looks great and was a fraction of the cost of the set that I thought I had to have.

Salt and pepper in a shell with horn spoons.

I took most of these photos the night before the dinner.  The lighting was not great and these turquoise pieces seem to be sort of fighting, but truly, it was a beautifully harmonious table.

This rattan runner and sea-themed stuff has been on the dining table for a couple of weeks.  I moved it to the sideboard for the meal.

Just a Pottery Barn bowl with sand and shells and a little sea glass.

These Pottery Barn hurricanes have the same treatment.

The small chest in the dining room has a clear turquoise bottle filled with a few simple snips from the yard.  It has a very narrow neck, so only a very few pieces of greenery will work.

I set up some glasses in the bar with these Caspari cocktail napkins.

And here's the coffee service with a shell-handled spoon for the sugar.

We had this appetizer out in the garden after we all got drinks.  Do you remember fixing this all of the time in the late '70's?  It's a veggie pizza on crescent rolls with a ranch dressing mixed with mayo and cream cheese.  Then any veggies (I used broccoli, zucchini, summer squash, green onions, and grated carrots.  Then top with shredded cheddar.  It is so refreshing and tasty, especially for summer.  I garnished it with basil leaves and garlic chive blossoms.

Here's a close-up.  Does it make your mouth water?  I took the left-overs to a picnic the next night and they were licked clean.


I was wishing that my blogger friend, Alycia Nichols from Tablescapes at Table Twenty-One could join me that night.  I really must find a way to meet her for a "for-real" hug.  Do you think that it was Alycia-worthy?

Menu:

Veggie Pizza
(served in the garden)

Greek Summer Gazpacho
(Southern My Way by Gena Knox)

Beach Street Cajun Shrimp
(Susan Branch's The Summer Book)
served over
Orzo Salad With Corn
(Stonewall Kitchen's Harvest)

Pineapple/Coconut Sundaes

*Sorry...no pics of most of the meal.  I just can't talk and serve and photograph at the same time, it seems!

I'll be posting at:

Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday

The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home

French Country Home for Feathered Nest Friday

Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday

At The Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday

Stuff and Nonsense for Fridays Unfond








16 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, soft colors in your seascape...the stemware is beautiful. I think that I have a Pampered Chef recipe someplace for a veggie pizza from crescent rolls. I'll have to search for that...it really is yummy. Thank you for sharing your marvelous design. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a tranquil table setting with beautiful detail! Where did you find your flatware? I have the same for my every day but over time have lost some forks and net to get more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous table, Linda. Aqua and white is one of my favorites, especially if it has to do with the ocean...guess that comes from being landlocked! The napkins are beautiful...so are the martini glasses.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda~ What a perfect turquoise & coral seaside table! I wouldn't have been able to pass up those beautiful etched glasses from Tuesday Morning either~ everything tastes better served in a martini glass even in alcohol isn't included! Your Pineapple Coconut Sundaes sound so refreshing & easy~ thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I menu looks deliclous,wish I was there.Your table setting is beautful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those martini and turquoise tumblers from TM are 2die4!! I also really loved the turquoise edged pieces of the coffee service, the coral linens -- it was all fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those martini glasses too.. also good for shrimp cocktails.. your appetizer looks yummeee! Love the turquoise with white.. the plates are fabulous.. great table. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Seascape set is beautiful.

    Loved the dishes.

    Hugs,
    Karin Şen Cankan
    karinsfairytale.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my sweet, sweet Linda. You reduce me to a whimper with this table! You are so lovely. This is a table - like all that you do - that I would so enjoy sharing with you. I, too, hope that we are able to meet in person one day and REALLY do this! Can you imagine what fun we would have? Let me tell you about this table: The pieces you selected are fabulous. I KNEW there had to be some Z Gallerie in there somewhere when I first glanced at the first photo!!! It makes me long for the store I have had to abandon since my "situation" earlier this summer. ALL of the stemware is gorgeous. It is the perfect addition to the overall look of the table. I love the way you subbed those gorgeous martinis for dessert vessels! Perfect...especially with the pineapple dessert. I, of course, would be imbibing actual martinis from them, too! :-) I don't remember the hors d'oeuvres from the 70s, but they sound good! The ingredients are easy enough, so I'm going to try them! That coffee service is spectacular and the napkins are so, so pretty. This is a fabulous set up all 'round, and I am going to make it my mission to get back to Georgia one day so we can break bread together. As I'm sure you already know, if EVER you are in the Kansas City area, you are expected to have your feet under our table! Thank you for this, Linda! BIG, BIG hugs to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great beachy table -- you've thought of everything. Love how everything coordinates so beautifully -- isn't it a wonderful moment to step back and say "ahhhhhh.....exactly!" Thanks for showing us your very refreshing beachscape.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely table. Lovely dishes you have :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful, soft colors. The glasses were quite a find. Love salt and pepper in shells. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful evening. I love each and every part of your table. The martini glasses and coordinating tumbler are fabulous.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stopping by from the Tablescaper's Seasonal Sundays and just wanted to say how lovely your aqua and white table setting is.
    I love how everything complements each other.
    The dessert sounds scrumptious and so easy!
    Maggie @ Normandy Life

    ReplyDelete
  15. Linda,
    You have made a beautiful seascape on your
    table! I love all of the pieces you have put together. The coffee service was just the icing on the cake. What a pretty relaxing night this must have been. Beautiful job!
    Thanks for linking it up to Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the pieces and the "sea" theme!!

    'Please visit our new website www.tableandtop.com'

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think of this posting. I treasure your comments and love the feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...