Search This Blog

Monday, August 15, 2011

Veggie Luncheon

Mid-summer.....foodie friends.....a vegetarian guest.  Ahhaa!  I'll use these vegetable dishes that almost never get used. 

These inspired a green and white, all veggie tablescape.  They read "Made in Italy, La Primula SRL" on the bottom.  I think they came from Marshall's many years ago.

Here's the front door.  This photo is so crooked that it looks like you are entering a fun house.


I just hot glued seed packets onto a grapevine wreath and added a bow.
 
Here's the way the placesettings looked.  I decided that the table needed a shot of color, so I added some pink details.

These wicker chargers and white wicker patterned plates are getting a workout this summer.

And here's how the plates and the soup bowl stacked up. 

The bread and butter plates are from Walmart last fall.

Are you tired of these?  They are from our wedding gifts.

The flatware is from World Market and this pale pink linen napkin is wrapped with a kale leaf and tied with a narrow polka dot ribbon.

A close up, but fuzzy photo.

Then, for the dessert, I used these antique white cabbage plates.


I've been planning this centerpiece forever.  A Brussels sprout and asparagus topiary and tin cans filled with pink roses! 

Starting with a straight sided glass vase, I added Styrofoam and hot glued a sturdy branch into it.  Then I hot glued a Styrofoam ball to the top.

I stuck wooden skewers into about a million Brussels sprouts.  It took lots more than I thought it would.

Then I hot glued these to the ball.  I took two thick rubber bands and put them around the vase.  The top one held asparagus and the bottom one held leaves of kale. 

I looked and looked for some pretty cans of peas, but they all looked so commercial and new.  Thanks to the Graphics Fairy, I found these labels and covered empty tin cans instead.  Then I filled each with roses and added them to each side of the topiary.

These place card holders were such a hit.  They are nothing other than four green beans hot glued together and tied with a little ribbon.

Be sure to use beans that have a natural curve to the bottoms, but are fairly straight on the top.  I looked for some that had those curly little tendrils on them, just for added interest.

This little tea pot was just too perfect not to use, but it was so hot outside that nobody even wanted hot tea or coffee.  It was iced tea all the way!

How cute is this?  Strangely, it is from the wedding department at Michael's.  I guess they are doing a riff on two peas in a pod.

Here's one of those weird little happenings.  I didn't realize it until later that night when I opened it, but one of my guests brought a hostess gift of these cute napkins......with vegetables!!!  There's no way she could have known I was doing a vegetable themed table.  Whoowee!

I knew that this table would be a bit labor intensive at the last minute, so I planned to do nothing but work on the table in the morning.  These veggies just wouldn't stand up if I did them the day before.  So.......Whole Foods to the rescue.  I served a pineapple cucumber gazpacho as a first course, and then a simple Caprese salad with some of their great dinner rolls.  One of the guests insisted on bringing dessert and I was thrilled.  I had planned on simple vanilla cupcakes with two peas in a pod made from marzipan on top.  I was happy to save this time and enjoy her delicious chocolate peanut butter frozen treat. 

Note:
Mr. Pressed Pants and I used this table latter that day for dinner, but frankly, the kale was smelling a bit funky by then.  I'm glad I didn't try to make them up too far ahead of time. 


I'll be joining the following blog parties this week:




http://thestylesisters.blogspot.com/ for Centerpiece Wednesday

www.stuff-and-nonsense.net for Fridays Unfold

http://www.atthepicketfence.com/ for Inspiration Friday

http://designsbygollum/ for Foodie Friday

http://myromantichome.blogspot.com/ for Show and Tell Friday

http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/  for Feathered Nest Friday













34 comments:

  1. This is fabulous!!!! Do you mind if I "steal" some of these great ideas??? I know this table was a HUGE hit! Very creative and inspiring. XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully creative! I love the roses in the pea cans. Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was stunning! So creative and I adore the brussel sprouts!!

    Veronica

    www.tasselsandtwigs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda!! (Or should I still call you Mrs. P?)... Found your blog through Amy's FB page, and see that we have a lot of the same blog friends! What a small world :)

    So excited to be your newest follower. I still remember how much I LOVED your IN house. You are so creative! Hope all is well!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my goodness! I don't know where to start! Your table is just wonderful! Love how you dressed up the little pea cans, the topiary, your dishes and the wreath on your door! I'm so glad I stopped by!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! I love all the green! My post is about decorating with green. Seems like a lot of people had the same idea. :) Green is such a versatile color. Love it. Thank you for sharing with us.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this table! The brussels sprouts centerpiece is the cutest and cleverest thing EVAH! Thank you for showing us how you made it. The green and white color scheme is so cool and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really went to a lot of time and trouble with this, but it was well worth it. It is fabulous!!I love all the exta touches and that china is so great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your centerpiece made with veggies is the cutest thing I've seen! I made a strawberry topiary earlier this year, but I like yours so much better. I would have loved to have been a guest at your table.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda~ This is so wonderful~ I adore your veggie plates! Your brussel sprouts with asparagus topiary is so GREAT & your green bean place card holders are too clever! Kale on the napkins even! What a Vegetarian Delight!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure your guests will appreciate that you gave this table setting much thought, not to mention- work. It is put together so creatively. Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda, I did a labor-intensive tablescape this week, too, but at least it didn't all have to be done at the last minute! You did a great job! Love that topiary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is darling! Love the topiary - this is just so creative - I'm sure your guests were bowled over with your table.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There are nice dishes and then there are FABULOUS dishes!! Those plates are just wonderful... I love the botanical feel! And what an sensational centerpiece! I may have to "borrow" this idea. It is perfect for your upscale veggie table!
    I want to thank you for the very sweet comment you left me. You are so kind!
    xo Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the dishes...your Brussels sprout topiary is adorable, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well this is award winning, no question! How delightful! beautiful too! Love the theme. The seed packet wreath is wonderful. The plates are truly gorgeous. I love garden themes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is soooooooooo creative and I love the pop of pink roses with the green. That is always such a wonderful color combo. Great table!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh so many good ideas.. I love them all. Your topiary is really clever. I love the cans too. your table is fabulous.. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is wonderful! The topiary is spectacular, and I love the veggie labels on the cans with the roses. Wonder if the kale smell could be controlled if the topiary was put in the refrigerator until needed for the dinner...it's such a neat idea, I know that it would be great if it lasted longer...just thinkin' 'out loud.' Thank you for sharing your marvelous design. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a darling table... your topiary is just too cute..and the bean can all decked out genius.. hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks lovely. Hope to see you at My Dream Canvas.Take care Anu

    ReplyDelete
  22. I adore those plates! You should use something that pretty all the time! Neat idea with the brussel sprouts. I'm going to remember that one!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just love those plates! The colors and design are wonderful. I am glad to have the tip about the fresh veggies - both in design and freshness.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is what makes great tablescapes - - outstanding creativity. I learned so much from you. Loved everything from the seed packets at the front door all the way through. Fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The topiary is so beautiful you did a wonderful job.

    The table setting looks great.

    Hugs,
    Karin Şen Cankan
    Karinsfairytale.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just want to take you and shake you and hug you and turn you upside down and then twirl you.....this is great!!!!! This is just fabulous! This is incredible! Your creative nerve must have been touched by an angel 'cause you put your foot in this one, girl! (That's something my Grandmother used to say to describe something that was really wonderful. OMG...I just skipped a whole generation and instead of turning into my Mother....!!!) That centerpiece is just too much!!! It certainly HAD to be labor intensive, but it turned out so great I'm sure it was worth all the "oohs" and "aahs" it got. You will be very healthy as you will be eating brussel sprouts every day for the next month or so! The kale on the napkin is so cute! I'm glad you added that touch of pink throughout the table...it really looks fantastic. I'm listening to Enrique Iglesia's song "Bailamos" which means "let's dance" in English. How fitting, because this table makes me want to dance until I drop! Woo hoo! Woo hoo! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an INGENIOUS tablescape! Brilliant! It's so beautiful too! Fabulous job. I'm glad I found your blog from BNOTP! I cannot wait to see future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi...your table is great. It provides such visual interest and is so HAPPY. I love all the gorgeous green colors. You did a great job.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just beautiful, what time should I arrive? LOL! I love your setting, and the china is just glorious. You always do such a good job with these tablescapes - inspirational for sure!

    And those flower arrangements?!?!? I'm copying you for sure!

    Listen, I have a new series on my blog called: "A Picture is Worth ..." I'm trying to get back to posting pictures about my house, and I'd love it if you'd come by and see the bar in the dining room! :)

    xo,
    A

    ReplyDelete
  30. It is so funny I have those plates! Mine also say made in Italy but they are from Crate and Barrel from about 15 years ago. Thanks for reminding me about those dishes, I don't use them very often and I don't know why! Pretty setting. If you get a chance please stop by our tea time giveaway, the Mom from Cottage and Broome.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a creative idea! And I have those same salt and pepper shakers (mine were from Hobby Lobby though). I just haven't come up with something to do with them that is as cute as your table! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh this is fabulous!! I love the topiary, the dishes too. Thanks for linking with Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello! I have been looking for these vegetable-themed dishes for years. I bought a serving bowl at a flea market and have been looking for the other pieces - with no luck. Reminds me of my mom. :) Would you consider selling your set?
    Lea

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think of this posting. I treasure your comments and love the feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...