Search This Blog

Friday, July 31, 2015

Once In A Blue Moon Dinner


Tonight, to celebrate the "Blue Moon", we ate a late dinner out in the cutting garden.  A blue moon is a rare phenomenon when there are two full moons in one calendar month.  Mr. Pressed Pants and I were married on a blue moon evening, so we always celebrate whenever this occurs.  After tonight, there won't be another blue moon until 2018!

 
Come on into the garden with me.

Of course, the table must be blue tonight!

This is pretty simple, but it is just the two of us and it's a very casual meal.

I put a white burlap tablecloth from Ballards over the collapsible table that I keep in the potting shed.  Then I layered this blue and white cloth from Crate and Barrel over that.  The rattan chargers are from World Market, and the blue handled flatware is too old to have a provenance.  These hand painted plates are made by Mesa in Porgugal and I love the way they echo the checks in the tablecloth.

These clear goblets came from Bed, Bath, and Beyond years ago, and I used these footed blue goblets as wine glasses.  They are not at all precious, and pretty sturdy, so I don't hesitate to take them to the garden.

These blue and white barley twist candlesticks are also from Portugal.

Here's what the white roses from Whole Foods looked like when I took them out to the potting shed.

I cut some hosta and some ferns and tucked them in and it made a world of difference.

Here's the arrangement on the table.

This French pot is the perfect size.  I use it a lot.

The "matching" bowl will hold salad tonight to go with pasta primavera.  The stripes are a counterpoint to the checks.

A simple white napkin from the Palm restaurant line of linens separates the charger from the plate.

Here's the tray that brought the dishes out from the house.  Isn't it pretty?  I gave it to my mom years ago, but when we sold her house and she went to an assisted living facility in June, I took it back.  I knew I would love using it.  

It was a beautiful evening.

The effort to get the stuff back and forth is worth it.  Every meal in the garden seems to make a memory.

The light wasn't the best to photograph, but you get the idea.

Here's a different angle, over the paddock area and down the driveway to the road.

I keep several sets of pillows in the potting shed and these blue and white ikat ones were perfect for this dinner.

The potting shed is one of the reasons I fell in love with this house.  You can take a tour of it here.

I can't pass up an opprtunity to style a surface!

The Limelight hydrangeas are white this year.  They have been more green in past years.

Can you see that we need to paint the board that was replaced early this spring?

The fence could use a date with a paint brush, too.

We're now awaiting the appearance of the moon tonight.  I naively thought that it would be blue, but our meteorologist says not necessarily.  We'll see!

Joining:
Tablescape Thursday
at

Share Your Style
at

Show and Tell Friday
at

The Scoop
at

Inspire Me Tuesday
at

Be Inspired (Tues.)

Table It
at

Home Sweet Home
at

Sheltered Nest Friday
at

Wow Us Wednesday
at

Make It Pretty Monday
at

Fridays Unfold
at


Celebrate It Sunday


9 comments:

  1. Beautiful! We had heavy cloud cover till after midnight. Then I had to focus between the trees to see our blue moon. It was exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The moon was spectacular...and so is your table! Love the plates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blue moon was beautiful rising over my patio. I sat there and watched for a while but then the racoons decided to visit the yard so I moved to the family room to watch the moon from the window. The blue and white checks on the table covering and the plates look so fresh and summery. The petals on the plates reminded me of the petals on my sunflowers. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post. Your table set-up was perfect: from your linens to all of your blue and white pieces (gotta love those Portuguese dishes and candlesticks!) Such a serene spot and perfect for celebrating a blue moon! Thanks for sharing this. Rosie @ The Magic Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a great reason to have this table set outdoors! The moon was great that night! I really like those dishes- what a great pattern. I grow limelight hydrangeas- they shift color as the season continues on. One of my favorites! Love the potting shed!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful way to celebrate! Your dishes are sooo pretty! I just love the way you put things together. Hydrangeas are difficult to grow here but I am having a little success with planting them in pots. You have a beautiful setting to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your table is wonderful but I am smitten with that potting shed and your garden!! So gorgeous! Thank you for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful setting and lovely garden. The moon was very bright here.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think of this posting. I treasure your comments and love the feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...