Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Is Ikat the new Buffalo Check?

Jennifer at The Pink Pagoda writes one of my very favorite blogs, and the best posts of all come on Mondays when she posts Blue and White Mondays.  She's had a great idea to start a Blue and White Linky Party.  I'm offering this post that I did quite some time ago, and it remains my favorite Blue and White post.  Thanks, Jennifer for all of your great posts and for the chance to participate!
On the whole, I'm not crazy about the trend toward global influences in decor.  At least not the multicolored fabrics that look sort of bohemian to me.  But....and it's a big but (no jokes here, please) I love, love, love single colored ikats.  They conduct themselves like a buffalo check.  That is, they give a pattern, but it's one that mixes with lots of other fabrics and patterns.  Add a stripe, a check, a polka dot, a toile, a solid...it all works!

 So, when I saw this good-sized remnant at Old Time Pottery for $5.00 per yard, I snapped it right up.  There's enough here to make a tablecloth and to cover some pillows for our tv room.

I just think this is so interesting.  Except for the photographer's shadow, that is.

With just this new tablecloth, and some inexpensive new dinner plates from Target, I've given these very classic and unremarkable pieces an entirely new look. 

Well, maybe I should apologize to these Portuguese chargers for calling them unremarkable.  I really do like them a lot!

These melamine dinner plates in a similar ikat pattern are next.  See how the ikats mix?  Target has quite a collection of melamine blue and white pieces, but I limited myself to just four of these plates, because I have so much blue and white already.

The salad plate is from Bed, Bath and Beyond and made by Strawberry Lane.  I bought a bunch of this pattern of dishes when Mr. Pressed Pants proceeded me in a corporate move and needed dishes.  They needed to be inexpensive, very durable, and blue and white to match the way I planned to remodel the kitchen in our newly purchased house.  These worked!

These bowls were from this batch of dishes.  I used them for a delicious gazpacho that we bought at the Farmer's Market in Alpharetta.

The flatware is available anywhere.

This urn is from our older daughter's wedding and I filled it with blue hydrangeas.  I think this table would look better with white hydrangeas, but those are done in my yard, and the blue ones are peaking now.

Heavenly!

The little white French butter keeper looked pretty cute.
 Well, what do you think?  Do you like the new look for these old favorites?


Maybe after dinner, we'll do a little fishing.  Or, at least Mr. Pressed Pants, will.  I find fishing a bit boring.  I'll be reading instead.  I just picked up Mary Kay Andrew's new book and I'm ready to start it.

We have some new residents living here.  The babies are just past the yellow fluff stage.  We love that the mom and dad come back each year....together....good moral fiber!
 

 

 







17 comments:

  1. Oh my, this Ikat is gorgeous in blue and white! Those plates are beautiful, they look wonderful on top of it! Here, in Ecuador, artisans make it in many beautiful combos, such as: Red and black, black and white, yellow and black, blue and white, brown and camel...etc! I love them, just great! Hugs, FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, be still my heart! All your blue and white looks so wonderful together! What a fab tablecloth -- and I must get myself to Target ASAP for those cool plates. I am very envious of your BLUE hydrangeas. We can only get them in pink here, with our soil, unless they're in pots. Yours are the bluest blue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous table! All those blues give it a cooling sense for this hot weather we are having. I'd like to transport that table to our terrace for this evening's meal. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Ikat fabric and new plates are just stunning--the whole table is incredibly crisp & white--it's part of the reason i adore B&W soooo much together. Carolyn Roehm (spelling?) would LOVE this table of yours!!!!!!!!
    Hugs/blessings,
    Lana In Italy

    ReplyDelete
  5. As much as I love green, there is nothing like a blue and white table. Beautiful ikat fabric. Gorgeous hydrangeas, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love your blue and white table! The fabric is amazing. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely gorgeous. Just wonderful.


    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything is so beautiful. I love the Ikat, and it looks so wonderful with your dishes. Sigh, you couldn't get me to leave if I was dining with you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your fabric find is the perfect foundation for your table! I spied those melamine dishes at Target & thought they were great looking!Blue & white have such a wonderful cooling effect~ lovely table! I'm enjoying reading Summer Rental right now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My word, it's fabulous....and my favourite colours....blue and white...can't get enough of it. I'm going back for a peak again!
    Shel

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love ikat patterns, both mixed and single colors. This is a beautiful blue and white setting, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ikat? buffalo check? It's all new to me and wow have you put all the B and W patterns together with perfection. And look at your comments...from Ecuador!! Italy!!! Is it time
    for that book yet? MJ

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that Ikat!!! I don't know if I'm ready to give up buffalo check yet. Love the dishes you put on the Ikat. Strong enough to stand up to the pattern. It's such a lovely table. Did you go fishing? Many blessings! marlis

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi lovely lady.
    I love your new look sweet lady, your dishes are Beautiful with the blue and white tablecloth, you did a Great job.
    I hope you have a wonderful week end.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your table is beautiful! I never heard of Ikat so I learned something new. I know I am a bit late in getting around. Have a great Father's Day! Blessings My Friend,

    ReplyDelete
  16. I still love Ikat and sometimes buffalo check too... in the right setting! Lovely setting!
    Karolyn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Coming over from Jennifer's Pink Pagoda - just recently found her beautiful blog - and your beautiful table! Wonderful blue and white presentation!

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think of this posting. I treasure your comments and love the feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...