Search This Blog

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Mighty Good Mushroom Soup

Mr. Pressed Pants found this recipe as he was leafing through Phyllis Hoffman's winter issue of Celebrate.  (If you haven't found this magazine yet, be sure to keep your eye out for the spring issue.  I promise you won't be disappointed.)  Our code to each other is to turn the corner of the page down, indicating interest of something on this page.  Usually, I wonder, "What in the world does he see of interest on this page?", but this time he put five stars on the page too!  So, this Sunday night seemed like a great soup night and I made this.  Here's the recipe:

Cream of Mushroom Soup with Fried Leeks

Soup:
4 T. butter
1 cup chopped leeks
1 1/2 lb. mixed sliced mushrooms
(no need to buy the really expensive wild ones, I just
used button and portabello)
1 t. dry thyme ( I used 1 T. fresh
and I recommend it)
salt and pepper to taste
4 c. chicken broth ( I like College Inn)
1 c. heavy cream ( used fat-free half and half)

In a lg. pan, melt butter and add leeks.  Cook till soft and add mushrooms, sprinkle with thyme and salt and pepper.  Cook about 12-15 minutes until soft and liquid evaporates.  Add broth, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 15 min.  Blend or process 1 c. of this until smooth.  Add back to pan and add cream.  Keep warm over very low heat.

Fried Leeks:
vegetable oil
2 c. thinly sliced leeks
kosher salt

Heat oil in skillet and add leeks in batches.  Fry until golden and remove onto a paper towel lined plate.  Sprinkle over soup just before serving.

Note:  Two of the three of us thought the fried leeks didn't justify adding fried food to a relatively healthy dish (if you use fat-free half and half in place of the heavy cream).  Mr. Pressed Pants, however, thought "they made the dish"!!!  You decide!!

I'm linking this with Designs by Gollum's Foodie Friday blog party.  Be sure to visit for some inspiring recipe ideas.



3 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds delicious! I will make this! Mr. S. will want the fried leeks, me....not so much:):) I try HARD to eat healthy! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love mushrooms! I better make this soon to ease my cravings.

    I'm having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop by to submit an entry. Good luck.

    http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like GOOD soup. I could happily live on soup for the rest of my life (and I'd probably be thinner!)

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think of this posting. I treasure your comments and love the feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...